Sausage balls! Who doesn’t love them?! Maybe those of you who haven’t heard of them. Yes, I am sure there are a select few out there that have never heard of these sausagey, cheesy, perfect comfort food goodness! And like everything, there are tons of recipes out there for them. I love this recipe, though! It’s the recipe my mom has always used, and it is so simple. Nothing you don’t need. Nothing that tries to add a twang or a special kick to spice them up. Just simple, uncomplicated ingredients that make for a great finger food snack!
- 1 lb uncooked sausage (I prefer hot)
- 8 oz shredded cheese – sharp cheddar
- 2 cups Bisquik/baking mix
- 2 tbsp milk
Preheat oven to 350°. In a large mixing bowl combine shredded cheese and baking mix. I like to mix these together first to get the cheese coated so it doesn’t clump together. Add the sausage and milk. Mix together with your hands until it’s all combined. Make into balls and place on baking sheet. Cook about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Shred a block of cheese. Yes, pre-shredded cheese you can get in a bag is easier and will be good! But I have found that shredding your own cheese makes them that much better! The cheese melts a little more. The bottom of the balls get a little crusty. You get the idea 😉
- If you don’t like hot sausage, go for the mild! Or even do half mild and half hot. Growing up my mom always made them half mild and half hot. But recently we have loved the all hot
- Loosely make the balls. My mom balls them up tightly, but I’ve been lazily balling them up and I love how they fall apart as you eat them
- The size of the sausage balls and closeness of them to each other on the baking sheet may alter bake time. Time them at 20 minutes and then watch them. Once they start to brown on the top they are good
- Making a double batch is easy! Just double all of the ingredients and mix together
- Be careful not add too much milk. I made that mistake once and they were pretty gross. You want just enough to help hold all the ingredients together
Sausage balls are very easy to make and with these simple ingredients I know it’ll become a classic go-to recipe for you! Enjoy!